Mie Goreng or Bakmi Goreng is a very popular dish of Indonesia. This is very commonly found in Malaysia and Singapore at roadside food stalls or in restaurants. It means fried noodles which is spicy and flavourful.
Mie goreng are traditionally stirred fried made with yellow wheat noodles, shallots, onions, garlic, vegetables, eggs, meat, seafood, soy sauce and sambal oekel. However,there are many variations. Authentic mie goreng uses fresh ingredients and spices. Garnish the dish with tomato, chillies, cucumber or fried shallots. Server it hot.
This dish was introduced by Chinese immigrants in Indonesia, and then got influenced by Indian immigrants from Malaysia and Singapore. I got this recipe from one Malay Aunty at my friend’s during my trip to Singapore last year.
* 1 pack of Egg Noodles ready to use or cook the dry noodles following the packet instructions....
* 1 Onion cut into cubes
* 2 Garlic chopped
* 1 Carrot cut into half and sliced
* 6 to 8 French Beans cut into long strips
* 1 small bowl of 3 coloured Capsicum cut into cubes
* 1/2 cup Cabbage shredded
* 1 bowl of chopped Bok choy or Spinach
* 1 Tomato deseeded and cut into half and sliced for garnishing
* Few Cucumber sliced for garnishing
* 2 Birds Eye Chillies sliced for Garnishing
* 1/2 cup of boneless chicken cut into pieces
* 8 to 10 Prawns cut and cleaned
* 2 Eggs beaten with a pinch of salt
* 1/2 cup Sambal Oelek paste
* 4 tbsp Indonesian Asian Sweet Soy Sauce — kecap manis or Soy Sauce with 2 tbsp of palm sugar added to the sauce
* Salt to taste
* 1 cup Vegetable stock water
* 5 tbsp Oil
Take a wok, heat a tbsp of oil, add the eggs and stir fry the eggs. Once done remove it. Add another tbsp of oil, on high flame stir fry the prawns. Remove and keep the prawns aside. Add another tbsp of oil. Now add the chicken pieces and stir fry the chicken, once done remove and keep it aside. Add the remaining oil in the wok. Add the chopped garlic and stir fry it for few seconds. Add the carrots, onion, beans and capsicum, stir for few minutes, add the cabbage and spinach. Continue to stir the vegetables on high flame for a minute. Add the prawns, chicken and eggs. Stir for a minute. Add the noddles, Sambal oelek paste, soy sauce, salt and stock water. Toss the noddles and the other ingredients well for a minute.
To serve the noodles, garnish it with tomato, cucumber and chopped red chillies. Serve hot.