This steamed pomfrets are healthy as no oil is added to the dish. I have used Asian herbs and spices for the paste. It gives a strong flavour and aroma to the dish. Serve this dish with hot steamed rice.
- 1 small Onion cut into pieces
- 1 small piece of Ginger
- 6 Garlic Cloves
- 2 Red Dried Chillies
- 2 Fresh Red Chillies or 1 tbsp Pickled Chillies
- 1/4 cup Coriander Leaves chopped
- 2 Lime Leaves
- 1 Lemongrass stalk
- 1 tsp Shrimp paste
- Salt to taste
Grind all the above ingredients into a paste.
For the Steamed Pomfrets
- 2 Whole Pomfrets cleaned, slit and marinated with salt
- Ground paste
- 2 Banana Leaves cut into medium size pieces and washed
Apply the paste on the Pomfrets. Let it marinate for 30 minutes. Take 2 to 3 pieces of the banana leaves and arrange them. Place the pomfret along with the marination on the banana leaves and wrap the banana leaves from all the sides. Tie it with a string. Take a steamer. Place the packed pomfrets into the steamer and steam the pomfrets for 20 minutes. Before eating cut open the strings, open up the banana leaves and serve it hot with steamed rice.